See also

William WILLMER (1815- )

Name: William WILLMER
Sex: Male
Father: Thomas WILLMER (1789- )
Mother: Sarah WILLMER-wife (c. 1790- )

Individual Events and Attributes

Birth 1815
Baptism 13 Aug 1815 (age 0) Langley-Marsih, Buckinghamshire
Langley (also known as Langley Marish) is a village in the authority of Slough, Berkshire in South East England. The name "Marish" has no association with a marsh but is manorial in origin, the manor having been held by the family of Mareys or, in Latinised form, Marisco. Christine de Marisco held the manor of Langley on behalf of the Crown between 1282 and 1311 during the reign of Edward I. The village formed part of a much larger area known as Langley Marish. The area stretched from as far as Gerrards Cross down to Colnbrook.

The meaning of the word Langley comes from two old English words Lang meaning Long and Leah meaning wood or clearing. The area was made up of a number of these so called clearings. The original clearings; Middle Green, Horsemoor Green, George Green, Sawyers Green and Shredding Green developed into small enclaves of housing and were eventually merged into one larger village centred around the church in St Mary’s Road. These clearings no longer exist, however have been adopted in street names or much smaller green fields.

Langley village and these adjoining hamlets were part of the manor and parish of Wraysbury and was most noted for it’s ties to the crown lands at Langley Park. It remained in some degree of obscurity until the two were separated and Langley was given it’s own vicar. It was not until 1639 though, that a vicar actually began to reside in Langley itself, located in a vicarage at St Mary’s Church.

The village’s move into prominence began when in 1547, the King, Edward VI installed at Langley Park his representative a Mr John Kedermister to take care of the his woodlands. Further development saw the village expand with the introduction of almshouses for the poor, set up firstly in 1617 by John Kedermister, by Henry Seymour in 1679-1687 and then by William Wild in 1839. Whittington cottages at the corner of Langley Road and St Mary’s Road created local housing and in 1830 Charles Depree set up a school just north of the Red Lion.